How to Apply
Resident Information Packet
Thank you for your interest in our program. Here are some important points of information to consider before you begin your application material:
- We will only accept applications through the ERAS® program (nothing by mail).
- We cannot consider any applicants without an interview.
- When application material is complete, an invitation to interview will be mailed.
- The Dean's letter may be received after the interview, but must be received before applicant's consideration by our selection committee, not later than January 1.
- Interviews are on an "invitation only" basis.
- All interviews will be completed by January 31. Do not wait until the last minute to schedule an interview after you have received your invitation, as we may not have interview dates available.
PIH Health Family Medicine Residency Program
NRMP Code 201320
12291 Washington Boulevard, Suite 500
Whittier, CA 90606 562.698.0811, Ext. 18516
Please complete the application material as described below:
ERAS® Common Application Form.
Please include a personal statement with your application that covers the following:
- Name of medical school and comments regarding its orientation to family practice.
- Briefly describe your family practice experiences and other notable activities or honors:
- Prior to medical school
- Clerkships and preceptorships: where, with whom, were your anticipations met, what were your strengths and weaknesses, etc.
- Family practice-oriented activities while in medical school
- What are your personal and professional goals? Describe what attracted you to family medicine. Where do you wish to practice and why? What training and educational qualities do you wish contained within your family practice residency training program to meet your goals? You may also wish to describe personal interests and circumstances, including your family and household.
- What skills do you believe you possess that a family physician would value?
- What personal (non-professional) growth interests do you wish to pursue during your three-year residency?
- What do you do for fun?
We must have three (3) letters of recommendation in order to complete your application. There should be at least two (2) letters from physicians practicing in the U.S. and 1 from faculty of an ACGME accredited program. The information contained in recommendation letters should offer an overview of your maturity, clinical competence, responsibility, humaneness, commitment to family medicine, and personality.
For more information about the PIH Family Practice Residency Program, call 562.698.0811 Ext. 18516
Interviews by Appointment Only
Selected applicants are scheduled on a first come - first served basis, so it is best to reserve an interview slot as soon as possible.
Applicants should expect to be at our facility from 8 am until 1:30 pm. A schedule of events is designed to give the applicant a comprehensive overview of our program. Applicants will meet in the morning for a tour of the facility prior to attending morning report (coffee and light snack will be provided) with our Family Medicine In-Service Resident team.
Interviews are conducted by both residents and faculty. Applicants will attend our noon conference (lunch is provided) and immediately following will have an opportunity to speak with a group of residents.