Spiritual Care Services
The thought of going to a hospital for medical care can bring up many concerns in your life. At these times, you need support for your emotional and spiritual well-being, as well as care for your physical condition.
Caring for You and Your Loved Ones
At the hospitals of PIH Health, you’ll find committed, compassionate and experienced spiritual caregivers ready to support you and your loved ones. Chaplain services are available both in English and Spanish. Chaplains serve as part of your multidisciplinary healthcare team to ensure you receive care that respects your cultural values and spiritual traditions.
Our chaplains can offer a listening ear, share a prayer or help you work through challenging personal issues. We’re also here to provide a supportive presence at any time during your hospitalization or that of a loved one. PIH Health spiritual care services include:
- Prayer requests for yourself or a loved one – Call 562.698.0811 Ext. 12500
- Communication with your faith community or spiritual resource, at your request
- Spiritual materials such as a Bible, rosary and prayer booklets upon request
- Clarification and support around advance directives and end-of-life decisions
- Religious rites
- Baptism, blessing, communion, anointing
- Roman Catholic sacraments provided by area churches, including confession, communion, Sacrament of the Sick
- Special rites for various faith traditions; arranged by request
- Chaplain interns and volunteer patient visitors work with PIH Health chaplains to offer spiritual support and prayer, as desired, while respecting and honoring each patient’s and family’s culture, traditions and faith perspectives.
When to Call a Chaplain
We believe spirituality reflects a bond we all share as we search for meaning and value in our lives. We’re here for you when you need it most. You may find it helpful to call upon the assistance of a chaplain when you or your caregivers:
- Face the challenges of understanding medical decisions in light of your values and belief systems
- Need to speak with someone about spiritual or emotional concerns
- Have questions about end-of-life issues or if you’re facing death
- Receive a new diagnosis or a recurrence, especially of a serious or life-limiting illness
- Would like to pray or need the Sacraments or a blessing
- Need help to contact or locate spiritual resources in the community
- Feel anxious or fearful about an upcoming surgery or procedure
- Need family support after a loss, including grief counseling, help with funeral arrangements or other concerns
- Struggle with spiritual issues, searching for answers related to spiritual questions.
Our hospital chapels are open 24/7 for prayer and meditation by all patients, visitors and staff.
- PIH Health Hospital – Whittier: Main corridor hallway—“West Road”—between the hospital main entrance and the Ed L. Shannon Tower
- PIH Health Hospital – Downey: Ground floor level near the Family Birth Center
Clinical Pastoral Education
PIH Health serves as a training center for professional chaplains through its Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program. Chaplain interns are an important part of the comprehensive spiritual care that PIH Health seeks to offer patients, visitors and hospital staff. For more information about the CPE program or exploring a career as a chaplain, please call 562.698.0811 Ext. 12738 or visit our website.
Grief Support Group
Our Living with Loss six week support group is open to anyone in the community who has experienced the loss of a loved one. This group provides a safe and caring environment to learn about grief and loss, ways of coping, and being supported as you journey through a most difficult time.
The group is free of charge, but it is important that you register beforehand because space is limited. For more information or to preregister for meetings, call 562.698.0811 Ext. 12500
Let us know how our chaplain or spiritual care services can help you.
PIH Health Hospital – Whittier: 562.698.0811 Ext. 12500
PIH Health Hospital – Downey: 562.904.5000 Ext. 25075