COVID-19 Information and Resources
Last updated: 3/23/2021
See temporary visiting hours
We understand that members of our community are concerned about the risk of exposure to the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19.
Like many other hospitals, we care for patients with infectious diseases frequently and are well prepared to provide them with the best and appropriate care while ensuring the safety of our staff, patients and visitors. We have a world class Infection Prevention team leading our efforts, which includes education, training and drills so that our clinicians have the information, tools and communication systems to properly screen and isolate patients for infectious conditions.
PIH Health clinicians are communicating with and are working in tandem with our partners at the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LACDPH), California Department of Public Health (CDPH), and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to stay up to date on this evolving situation.
See details regarding:
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for updates on the number of hospitalized patients at PIH Health.
Don’t Let this Virus Delay Your Medical Care
Many members of our community have health issues that are unrelated to the Coronavirus (COVID-19), and yet they are ignoring symptoms, canceling follow-up imaging tests, or delaying care due to a fear of seeking medical treatments at a physician office, urgent care center or Emergency Department. Delaying needed medical attention can potentially be detrimental to your health.
How We Keep You Safe at PIH Health
For the safety and well-being of all our patients and health providers, PIH Health continues to implement safety measures at each of our hospitals, urgent care centers and medical offices.
- Everyone is screened (not tested) for COVID-19 and required to perform hand hygiene.
- Everyone is required to wear a simple mask before entering PIH Health facilities. A cloth mask is not a simple mask. A simple mask will be provided to you at entry. This may be placed over your cloth mask if you choose.
- Patients suspected of having COVID-19 are separated from all other patients and directed to a separate entrance and waiting area.
- Certain units in our hospitals are designated for treatment of COVID-19 patients only and staffed by a dedicated care team.
- Restrictions have been placed on visiting patients to limit the number of people in the facilities.
- Physical distancing is required in all waiting areas.
- We follow the highest standards of infection prevention and disinfection practices.
How to Keep Each Other Safe as Infections Rise
- Practice physical distancing (keeping at least six feet away from others)
- Wear a cloth face covering when you are out and around other people
- Wash your hands or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer regularly
- Avoid places where a lot of people gather or go when they are less busy
- Work or study from home if possible
- Avoid non-essential travel
- Stay home if you feel sick
- Take advantage of contact-less pickup or drive-thru options at stores and restaurants
- Avoid gatherings with more than two other households and limit them to outdoor settings for no more than two hours
- Consider virtual holiday gatherings with family and friends to minimize risk of exposure and spread
Anonymous Patient Comments about Recent Visits
"During something like this pandemic. I was extremely impressed at how quickly I moved through the emergency room process and how I felt safe. I appreciated that a great deal. So thank you to PIH Health ER, and I'm so grateful for those providers who are there to care for me when it wasn't a COVID-19 problem. Thank you again."
"My experience at PIH Health Whittier Hospital was wonderful! After not feeling well for a few days (B/P), and I was scared going to the ER because of the COVID-19 virus. BUT, upon arriving they setup a tent outside, they asked questions related to the virus changed my mask, then I was allowed into the ER lobby. That made me feel a bit more at ease, since I am an older woman with diabetes and hypertension. I had not left my home for 14 days. The staff was very professional and comforting, from the ER tech's, nurses and doctors, true heroes!! I was really nervous and scared. My stay in ER department was quick (3 hours), my family was very happy to see me come home safe and fast! I am so proud and thankful PIH Health is in our community, they are amazing with their care, professionalism and knowledge to take great care of us every day! THANK YOU PIH HEALTH!! TRUE HEROES!"
"The staff was remarkable, especially during these difficult times if dealing with the COVID-19 virus. They are our heroes!"
"I was a little hesitant of going to the hospital for a CT Scan. Concerned about going because of the Coronavirus. However, I was amazed at how well everyone trying to enter the hospital was nicely greeted and screened. Right away, I felt comfortable going inside to the Radiology Department. Everyone was helpful, patient, kind and understanding. Thank you PIH Health for giving me peace of mind and for the precautions, you take to serve and protect our community. May God bless each and every one of you for your service. You are appreciated!
Use of Face Masks at PIH Health Facilities
PIH Health is taking additional steps to align with the updated Los Angeles County Health Order and CDC infection control guidance and will require all visitors and patients to wear a simple mask while in a PIH Health building. Visitors and patients entering a PIH Health building will be provided one simple mask when entering.
Use of Face Masks in Public Areas
The CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other physical distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission. Read more about using cloth masks from the CDC.
- Patient care and safety are the absolute top priority at PIH Health. If you have questions about your medical care, please contact your primary care provider or the specialist directing your care.
- Temporary Visiting Hours
- Community Resources
- PIH Health Physicians is offering TeleHealth for certain types of appointments through the patient portal. Sign up for the My PIH Health patient portal.
- PIH Health has declared a Code Triage Internal in response to the current status of Coronavirus. Using the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) allows us to increase our situational awareness and escalate our response in a unified manner. Invoking the HICS system provides access to local, state and federal resources.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is closely monitoring a respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus first identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be spread through person-to-person transmission.
- The official name of the virus/disease is SARS-CoV-2 and the disease is called COVID-19. This is decided by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO).
- This is a novel (previously unknown) virus that public health officials are still learning about. Please refer to the CDC website for more information at cdc.gov