Work together with the expert radiation oncology team at PIH Health for advanced cancer therapy using high energy radiation to target and destroy cancer cells.
Expect the best treatment at PIH Health because we are accredited by the American College of Radiology.
What’s Radiation Therapy?
Radiation therapy uses precisely focused, high-energy X-rays to destroy cancer cells and/or to shrink tumors. Your doctor may recommend radiation therapy in addition to other cancer treatments to destroy cancer cells.
Types of Radiation Therapy
Rely on our skilled radiation oncology team to fight your cancer using the most advanced, effective radiation technologies, such as:
- External beam radiation – Uses high-energy X-rays to destroy cancer cells.
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) – Uses 3-D computer images to precisely target cancer
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) – Uses small, “bendable” beams of radiation to target tumors while sparing surrounding healthy tissue
- Three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy – Uses a 3-D planning system to target a high dose of radiation into the body at the site of the cancer cell and protects healthy tissue
- Stereotactic radio-surgery (SRS) and stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) – Uses special equipment to position the patient precisely and deliver high doses of radiation to a tumor
- Internal radiation therapy – Places radioactive sources directly into the body to deliver radiation to a small area
- High-dose-rate (HDR) brachytherapy – Targets a high dose of radiation to an exact tumor site within the body over a short period of time
- Low-dose-rate (LDR) brachytherapy – Places radioactive ‘seeds’ wich gives low dose of radiation to the exact tumor site over a few days or is placed permanently
- Vison RT uses infrared imaging to precisely track your position as well as help limit radiation doses to areas that do not require radiation.
- Radioisotopes – Treats thyroid cancer using radioactive iodine in liquid form
- Xofigo (radium 233 dichloride) – Treats advanced prostate cancer (CRPC) that has spread to the bones
Advanced Radiation Technology
Take advantage of a wide range of advanced technologies for external beam and internal radiation therapies at PIH Health for more precise treatment, including:
- Elekta Synergy® and Synergy S® linear accelerators – Deliver treatment fast and accurately
- Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SRS) – Delivers precisely-targeted radiation in fewer high-dose treatments
- High-dose-rate Varian GammaMed Afterloader™ –internal radiation directly to the tumor site.
- Toshiba© large-bore CT simulator – Captures high resolution images for planning your treatment
- Ultrasound – Uses high-frequency sound waves to image structures within your body
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI) – In conjunction with the High-dose-rate Varian GammaMed Afterloader, is a possible option for breast cancer patients which will reduce time of treatment
- Tattoo-less breast cancer treatments
Personalized Treatment Plans
Count on your care team to create a customized radiation treatment plan tailored to your specific needs in order to deliver precise doses of radiation.
Coping with Side Effects of Radiation Therapy
You will not feel any pain from the radiation ‘beam’ but there may be some side-effects. Rest assured, your knowledgeable care team will inform and help manage any potential side-effects. You’ll meet weekly with your nurse and radiation oncologist to assess how you are doing with your treatment. They can refer you to additional support and resources.