Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
Trust the highly specialized cardiovascular team at PIH Health for transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). This minimally invasive procedure can treat severe aortic stenosis if you’re not a candidate for traditional aortic valve surgery.
When you have aortic stenosis, or narrowing of your heart’s aortic valve, medication may not reverse or stop the disease’s progression. TAVR is the only effective minimally invasive treatment for aortic stenosis.
How TAVR Works
TAVR uses a catheter (thin tube) to replace the aortic valve through a tiny incision. Your doctor will use imaging technology and the catheter to place the new valve over the diseased valve. You’ll benefit from a new aortic valve made to open all the way and restore full blood flow to your body, reducing the burden on your heart
Am I a Candidate for TAVR?
Your doctor may recommend TAVR if you:
- Have aortic stenosis
- Aren’t healthy enough for open-heart surgery
If you’re a candidate for TAVR, you may benefit from:
- Better outcomes compared to medication
- Less time in the operating room and hospital than after traditional aortic valve surgery
- Lower chances of complications than during surgery
- Faster and more comfortable recovery than open-heart surgery since TAVR is less invasive
- Longer lifespan because treatment stop or slows disease progression