Reaching your health goals depends on proper nutrition. Make sure you’re getting the proper nutrition to feel your best with help from the knowledgeable nutrition experts at PIH Health.
Work 1:1 with a Dietitian
Partner with a dietitian in our outpatient nutrition department who will get to know you and your unique health needs. Registered Dietitians (RD) or Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDN) are trained in providing education on nutrition, diabetes, weight management, and all medical nutrition therapy. RDs and RDNs turn the science of nutrition into helping you find foods you enjoy that are good for you.
Are Nutrition Services Right for Me?
Your doctor may recommend nutrition services to help you:
- Improve your overall health and well-being
- Lose or manage your weight in a healthy, safe way
- Lower your risk of chronic (long-term) diseases
- Manage an existing health condition, such as diabetes, gastrointestinal (GI) disorders, kidney disease, cancer, or heart problems
- Have enough energy to be active or take part in sports at your highest performance level
- Have a healthy pregnancy
What to Expect
During your appointment, plan to:
- Talk about your current diet and eating habits
- Complete an evaluation of your nutritional health
- Set nutrition goals
- Create a personalized nutrition treatment plan
- Receive nutrition education
Know you’re getting the nutrition therapy that best fits your situation because all RDs and RDNs are credentialed through the Commission on Dietetics Registration, the credentialing agency for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
How to Schedule an Appointment
Your doctor must provide a referral or a prescription with a diagnosis for you to receive nutrition counseling at PIH Health. If a referral is preferred, please follow these instructions:
Download, print, and take our Outpatient Nutrition Referral Form [PDF] to your doctor’s office. Ask your doctor to complete the form and fax it to 562.789.4335. Then, to set up an appointment, call the PIH Health Whittier Hospital Diabetes Education Center/Nutrition office at 562.698.0811 Ext. 11320.