If you have a serious illness or chronic health condition, improve your quality of life with palliative care from PIH Health. This service can ease pain and symptoms so you feel better in body, mind, and spirit.
Benefits of Palliative Care
Benefit from palliative care if you have complex medical needs or any serious condition, such as cancer, organ failure, or chronic pain. They may help you:
- Improve physical symptoms, such as nausea, pain, shortness of breath, or treatment side effects
- Decide what treatments you do and don’t want
- Improve communication among your doctors and nurses
- Better understand your illness
- Cope with the impact of a chronic condition
- Talk about your feelings with your loved ones and get along better
- Provide spiritual and emotional support
- Navigate health care and community resources
- Make advance directives, instructions your care team will follow if you can’t speak for yourself
Lean on our warm, friendly professionals for support. Depending on your goals, your family’s palliative care team may include:
What to Expect
Palliative care providers work with your doctors to make sure your medical care matches your goals. You can also ask palliative care specialists to help you make plans for your future care.
Tell your palliative care providers what’s bothering you and what’s important to you. They understand that your illness affects both you and those you love. Trust them to help all of you get the support and guidance you need to live better.
Where to Get Care
You may work with palliative care providers in:
- Your doctor’s office
- Your home
- Nursing home
Ask your primary care physician for a palliative care referral. You may also review our fact sheet for additional details.
Palliative Care Differs From Hospice Care
You can receive palliative care at any time during a serious illness or chronic condition—even as you receive medical treatment to stop or slow your disease.
In contrast, hospice care is for people in the final stages of a terminal illness. It benefits patients who forego curative treatment and instead focus on comfort.