Preparing for Surgery
Rely on PIH Health to give you the best possible care before, during and after your operation. Once your surgery has been scheduled, you’ll receive more instructions, including detailed information about the way to prepare for your procedure.
Is Surgery Right for Me?
Most surgeries are not emergencies. That means you have time to find out about the operation.
Talk to your surgeon about treatment options for your condition before you decide to have surgery. You also have time to get a second opinion.
Prepare a list of questions and make sure you understand the explanations. It may help to take a family member or friend with you when you visit your doctor or surgeon.
At PIH Health, you’ll receive specific instructions about what to do to prepare for your surgical procedure.
For many procedures, PIH Health will work with you to make sure you:
- Preoperative laboratory and imaging services
- Approvals from your insurance carrier
- Written instructions about follow-up care, prescription medications, and who to call with questions or in case of problems
- Making plans for medical equipment or home health care you may need while you recover at home
Day of Surgery
Ensure your transportation by having a family member, friend or other caregiver bring you to PIH Health for your procedure.
In addition to other specific instructions you receive from your surgeon, you’ll want to:
- Avoid wearing makeup or contact lenses
- Leave your jewelry, money and other valuables at home
Once you return home, be sure to:
- Follow all your doctor’s instructions
- Go for your scheduled postoperative checkup
- Ask your doctor when you can return to your regular activities