Ask the Expert: Allergies

Follow Us

For the latest Health Information and Wellness Tips from PIH Health.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram

Published on August 22, 2018

Ask the Expert: Allergies

Mother and daughter blowing their noses

Mother and daughter blowing their nosesQ: Lately, I’ve had a lot of sneezing and watery eyes, but I’ve never had allergies before. Should I see a doctor?

A: You may have a food, seasonal or pet allergy, or you may have something else entirely. If your symptoms do not improve with self-help steps like avoiding triggers, using a humidifier, air purification system or taking over-the-counter drugs such as antihistamines, it might be time to see your doctor. To pinpoint whether you have an allergy problem, and determine the best treatment regimen, your doctor will ask questions about your symptoms and habits. Based on that information and your medical history, he or she may suggest a skin or blood test to help determine if you’re truly allergic to something you inhaled, touched or ate.

Randolph Holmes MD
15725 E. Whittier Blvd. Suite 400
Whittier, CA 90603

The information in Healthy Living Online is for educational purposes only.  It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.  The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation, or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.