Choose PIH Health During Open Enrollment
If you receive health insurance through your employer, you may be in your annual open enrollment periods during the fall or early winter. During this specific timeframe, employees may select their healthcare plans for the following year. This is a great opportunity to review and change your elective healthcare benefits. Be sure to choose carefully since your selection will determine the quality of care you receive for the upcoming year.
There are many health plan options but you can generally choose from two different types of plans: a Health
Maintenance Organization (HMO) and a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO).
1. HMO: This plan tends to offer lower monthly premiums with a limited network of physicians and hospitals available to plan members. You must choose a primary care physician (PCP) who will coordinate all your care. If you require specialists as a part of your healthcare, you must be referred by your PCP.
2. PPO: This plan gives you access to a larger provider network and the option to go out of network by paying a higher co-payment. Monthly premiums and out-of pocket costs tend to be higher with this plan, and you will be responsible for managing and coordinating your own healthcare needs. You can also self-refer to specialists.
It’s important to know that each health plan and medical provider is different. Doctors and hospitals will vary in degrees of experience and expertise, and certain health plans may not offer all of the benefits you need, so it’s important to take the time to research thoroughly.
When you choose a doctor and medical group, you are also choosing the hospital where you will potentially be admitted, should you need hospitalization. Is your current primary care physician affiliated with PIH Health? If you are not sure, we encourage you to give us a call to verify. We have had some name changes over the last few years. You may notice that PIH Health Physicians may still be listed as Bright Health Physicians, PIH Health Whittier Hospital may still be listed as Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital and PIH Health Downey Hospital may still be identified as Downey Regional Medical Center. But know that they are all PIH Health.
Why Choose PIH Health?
• Outstanding care: The PIH Health network includes board-certified physicians, advanced practice providers, such as nurse practitioners and physician’s assistants, plus a comprehensive support staff with extensive training and continuing education.
• Advanced equipment: PIH Health continues to invest in the latest instruments and technologies to help provide improved diagnostic results and medical outcomes.
• Wide range of services: PIH Health features two fullservice hospitals, home healthcare services as well as heart, cancer, stroke, women’s health, urgent care and emergency services.
• Convenience: The PIH Health network consists of numerous physicians and medical offices throughout the community and offers nearly every medical specialty.
• History of medical excellence: PIH Health has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s top hospital networks for quality, cutting-edge advancements and technology.
For more information about your insurance options or to see a list of doctors in your area, please visit our website at PIHHealth.org/OpenEnrollment or call our patients services at 888.365.4450.