Creamy Pasta with Broccoli
This gluten free recipe will please the whole family, including those who live with celiac disease. High-fat heavy cream is replaced with butternut squash and almond milk for a smooth, creamy sauce that has only 3 grams of fat per serving. Brown rice pasta makes this hearty dinner gluten free and healthier too.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1 3/4 lbs), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups unsweetened unflavored almond milk
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 oz brown rice penne pasta
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Arrange the squash in the top basket of a steamer. Over high heat, steam the butternut squash, covered, for 12 minutes, or until tender. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the shallots, garlic, thyme and water and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until the shallots are tender.
- In a blender, add the shallot mixture, squash, almond milk, nutritional yeast, vinegar, paprika, nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Cover and blend until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding the broccoli for the last 5 minutes of cooking; drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the squash mixture and Parmesan cheese and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture is heated through. Add the drained pasta and broccoli and toss gently to coat. Serve topped with the chopped parsley, if using.
Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 218
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Sodium: 173mg
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 9g
Copyright 2021 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved. Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Cook eKitchen™ is a designated trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein without the express approval of Baldwin Publishing, Inc. is strictly prohibited.