Published on August 08, 2018
Get Fit With Your Family
Getting fit doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, working out can be fun when you include family and/or friends. In honor of Family Fun Month, here are some ideas to get you and your family active—in a fun way!
- Get outdoors – Turn on the garden sprinkler and play a game of water tag, play dodge ball or red rover to get things going. “Thirty minutes of cardio is good for your heart and has other health benefits such as lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, and preventing heart disease and stroke,” says Gina Tran MD, PIH Health Family Medicine.
- Family and Friends Yoga at the Park – Have fun exploring different poses, meditate and embrace your surroundings. After all, Yoga is all about living in the moment and who better than your family and friends to practice that with?
- Swim Time – If you don’t have a pool, there are plenty of community facilities that offer access in the summer months for a nominal fee. Get the family together and make a day of it!
- Cook outdoors together – There’s something about the summer months that makes eating outside a special treat. If the weather allows and it’s not too hot, fire up the grill and enjoy a tasty meal outside. Make it a family effort and have the kids help set the table, serve the plates and clean up. After a nice meal, enjoy a game of Jenga, Bingo or cards.
- Attend a community class – Check with your local community centers to see what family activities are available.