Keep Full with These Low Cal Breakfast Ideas
Maintaining a healthy diet doesn’t have to be stressful. In fact, it can be fun if you explore your options with different recipes. A healthy, hearty breakfast can set the tone for what the rest of your day will look like food-wise and also can impact how you feel. If you are in need of some inspiration in the kitchen to keep you eating healthy and staying full, here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Avocado on Multigrain Toast – The fat from the avocado is good for you and is a good source of fuel for your body. It will also keep you full for an adequate amount of time. The multigrain bread is loaded with nutrients and carbs that will break down to sugar which will give you a burst of energy. Top this with a few slices of baby tomatoes and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Hard Boiled Eggs and Green Juice – High in protein and low in calories, hard-boiled eggs are an “egg-cellent” breakfast choice. Pair this with a green juice and a slice of whole wheat toast and get ready for a super productive day!
- Overnight Oats – Overnight oats are fun because you can get really crafty with what you include in your batches. Add your oats to a mason jar, fill with water and add in any kind of fruit, natural sweeteners or nuts. Coconut, cinnamon and almonds make a great combo. Top with fresh banana in the morning and voila!
- Homemade Egg Bites – There are several recipes for these little egg wonders however, they are very simple and easy to make. All that is needed is a muffin tin, eggs and anything else you would like to include such as bell peppers, tomatoes, bacon, cheese, etc. The possibilities are endless just be sure not to overdo the cheese and bacon. Try egg whites for a lower calorie version of this breakfast idea.
- Protein Pancakes – If you have a favorite flavored protein powder, opt for some protein pancakes! Substitute the pancake mix with your powder and you will not be disappointed.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait – Pair your favorite brand of non-fat Greek yogurt with some nuts and berries—your sweet tooth with thank you later! One cup of Greek yogurt contains 23 grams of protein.
- Water – H2O should be consumed throughout the day, however, the morning is a great time to start your water consumption. Drinking plenty of water not only keeps you hydrated but also helps to curve mid-day munchies and other random cravings. Water helps keep you full and often times, thirst can be confused with hunger.
Give it a shot! If you start off your day with healthy food choices, chances are you will make more thoughtful decisions throughout the day. “Foods that are high in protein such as eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt are not only nutritious but can help fight those mid-day cravings since they keep you full for so long,” says Rachel Lander-Canseco, PIH Health clinical dietician. “If you tend to have a fast metabolism, opt for snacks that are high in protein such as a handful of nuts or a hard-boiled egg and pair with something high in fiber like baby carrots or an apple to keep you satisfied for a longer period of time.”
To learn more about eating healthy, lowering your weight and about PIH Health Nutrition Services visit: https://bit.ly/2GeiKHM