Mediterranean Bean Salad Recipe
This Mediterranean Bean Salad is packed with flavor and great nutrition. High-protein beans, fresh tomatoes and herbs, and olive oil make this heart-healthy salad a tasty lunch. After all, it is American Heart Month so let’s be sure to take care of our tickers.
- 2 whole wheat pita breads (6-inch diameter), cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed and drained
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- ½ cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced romaine lettuce
- 2 green onions chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a large baking sheet, arrange pita pieces in one layer. Bake until crisp and just brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- In a small bowl, mash garlic and salt to form a paste. In another small bowl, combine garlic paste, lemon juice and cumin and whisk to blend. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Season with black pepper to taste.
- In a serving bowl, combine black beans, chickpeas, tomatoes and cucumber. Add the pita pieces, lettuce, green onions, feta, parsley, mint and the lemon dressing. Toss to mix. Season with additional black pepper to taste.
Saturated Fat: 3g
Copyright 2016-2019 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.