Warm Roasted Sweet Potato, Farro and Greens Salad
May is National Salad Month, so treat the family to this meatless recipe. This roasted sweet potato, farro and greens salad is warm and nutritious. Protein-packed, high-fiber farro is a hearty whole-grain that will stave off hunger and keep you satisfied. #PIHHealth
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup uncooked farro, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced radish
- 2 Tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups kale
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- For the salad: Preheat oven to 400°. On a baking sheet, toss the sweet potato cubes with the olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the farro and 3 cups water. Bring the water to a boil; reduce the heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes, or until the farro is just tender. Drain the farro. In a bowl, toss the cooked farro with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the roasted sweet potato, cooked farro, radishes, feta, apple, lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
- For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, apple cider vinegar and mustard.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the kale and greens. Top with the farro salad. Sprinkle with the herbs and sunflower seeds. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 195; Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 95mg; Carbohydrates: 28g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 5g