8 Poison Prevention Tips - PIH Health - Whittier, CA

Skip to Content

Published on March 21, 2018

Child holding pills

8 Poison Prevention Tips

Child holding pillsMost poisonings are preventable. Here's how you can reduce the risk of poisoning at home.

More than 90% of all poisonings happen at home. Poisoning affects people of all ages, although children under age 6 are most likely to be accidentally poisoned and account for nearly half of all calls made to poison control centers. Prescription drug overdose is the leading cause of poisoning across all age groups, but in children ages 6 and under, cosmetics and personal care products top the list.

Here are 8 tips for poison-proofing your home:

  1. Store all prescription and over-the-counter medicine in a locked cabinet. Do the same for vitamins and supplements, which can also be harmful.
  2. Beware of medication, cosmetics and other small items left in purses. Items containing button batteries are especially dangerous. About 3,000 kids go to the ER each year after swallowing these batteries, which can lead to permanent damage in as little as 2 hours. Children can easily get to items left in purses and swallow them before anyone notices.
  3. Follow directions carefully on all medication and read warning labels.
  4. Keep cosmetics, perfumes and personal care products where children can’t see or reach them. These colorful items attract kids’ attention and can be very dangerous if swallowed.
  5. Keep medicine, cleaners, chemicals, oils and other potential poisons in their original containers so you know what they are. This makes it less likely that they will be mistaken for something else.
  6. Store all chemicals, such as household cleaners, detergents, automotive products and pesticides, in a securely locked cabinet, out of the reach of children. Never underestimate your child’s ability to climb.
  7. Never keep potential poisons in the same place you keep food. Children and seniors can mistake dangerous items for something they can eat.
  8. Get rid of unused or expired medication by bringing it back to the pharmacy. Do not save medicine you no longer need. If you toss medicine in your trash, first mix it with coffee grounds or kitty litter so it won’t be picked out of the garbage.

Here are some signs that poisoning may have occurred:

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Cramps
  • Dizziness
  • Foaming or burning around the mouth
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unconsciousness

If you suspect that someone has been exposed to something potentially poisonous, call the National Poison Control Hotline at 1.800.222.1222 or your local poison control center. If the person is unconscious or is not breathing, call 911.

Copyright 2017 © Baldwin Publishing, Inc. All rights reserved.  Health eCooking® is a registered trademark of Baldwin Publishing, Inc.

The information in Healthy Living Online is for educational purposes only.  It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.  The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation, or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.

Follow Us

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Follow us on Instagram

Don't miss any Healthy Living Online posts - Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter.